Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Stroke of Luck: What's Your Story

This is just a brief entry to point out a very useful article I found in an on-line journal that I receive on my school email. The journal, Tech Learning, offers a free subscription. Later this week I'll find how to subscribe to it and mention that here. Click on the citation link below and you'll be taken to the article, "What's Your Story" ( 2008) which discusses digital storytelling and, what I think is most valuable, list inexpensive and free sources available to create a DST station on a school PC ( I'd like to do this for several station in our school computer lab).

What's your story. (2009, October 1) techLearning. Retrieved from http://techlearning.com/shared/printableArticle.php?articleID=196605451

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Robert-
I just got a chance to look at the article. It was great. I especially liked the tip for a Literature class making a movie trailer for a play like Macbeth. I thought that would be really interesting and interactive for students. Some of my fondest memories of high school are when we completed group projects such as class plays or skits, whether it be videoed or not. However, about 6 months ago my best friend and I went through all of our high school in class video projects and watched them. Needless to say, it was really funny and it is something that I'll be able to keep forever.

Even when the article listed out the cons of creating the assignments such as the equipment being expensive or the projects took up too much class time, I still felt like they were great ideas. I'm sure that the school may have at least one set of equipment that could be rented. Also, to even just have one project in one class a year would still be a great experience.

Jona Gaskin said...

This is really a great article. I am trying to incorporate as much DST as I can at my school. It is very time consuming, but it is worth it to me. I really like that this article list resources (especially the free ones :) ) I printed the article to add to my DST folder. Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie said...

I LOVE digital storytelling and so do my students(8th graders). They just returned from at trip to Savannah and this week they have been using their photos and adding music to create some awesome videos in Movie Maker. Some are working independently while others are working in pairs and they come to class everyday anxious to get started. Thanks for the link to techlearning-- I signed up for all the free literature at this site.

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.