Saturday, November 1, 2008
Annihilating Time and Space
One of the themes, I think, of digital technology is how it seems to do away with time and space. Information that anyone can create - and in many different forms - can be made summoned almost anywhere from almost anywhere. It is more than a little bit like magic. Look at the web sites for school libraries across the United States. I've included a link to school and public library resources in Alaska, about as far away from Georgia as I could imagine. But does this whittling down of time and space create similar cultures? I think it does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm not sure I agree with you about creating similar cultures because we whittle down time and space. It does expose us to other cultures but I don't believe it profoundly changes the distinct cultures we live in. The "culture" of Alaska is very different from Georgia. Just as California or New York are so very different, we are exposed to these 2 cultures via television, and thank goodness Georgia is nothing like either one of these states!
Post a Comment